- Biden hails democracy and rebukes Trump after electoral college victory
- William Barr steps down after dismissing Trump’s claims of fraud
- US Covid deaths pass 300,000 as first Americans receive vaccine
- Sign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by email
If Dick Cheney gained notoriety as George W Bush’s “Darth Vader”, William Barr, the US attorney general, appeared a worthy successor as Donald Trump’s Lord of the Sith.
Barr played the role of presidential enforcer with apparent relish, whether spinning the Russia investigation in Trump’s favour or defending a harsh crackdown on this summer’s civil unrest.
US President-elect Joe Biden delivered a forceful rebuke to president Donald Trump’s attacks on the legitimacy of his victory, hours after winning the state-by-state electoral college vote that officially determines the US presidency. “In this battle for the soul of America, democracy prevailed,” Biden said in a prime-time speech from his hometown of Wilmington, Delaware.
“The flame of democracy was lit in this nation a long time ago,” Biden said. “We now know that not even a pandemic or an abuse of power can extinguish that flame.”
Good morning, and welcome to our US politics live coverage on the day after Joe Biden secured an overwhelming victory in the electoral college, confirming that he won November’s election.
Donald Trump | The Guardian
1. Trump from Michael_Novakhov (197 sites)
Trump Investigations from Michael_Novakhov (126 sites)